Tank gun usage statistics
William Clodius
2015-04-28 15:16:54 UTC
I vaguesly recall reading statistics on armored vehicle round usage, I
suspect for Northwestern Europe, on the relative numbers of different
types of tank rounds used by the Allies/Americans. My memory was that
about 2/3 was HE implying most attacks were against infantry/artillery
rather than tanks, but I would appreciate definitive numbers including
smoke, AP, and white phosphorous. Googling various related terms
doesn't show up anything and the most obvious documents at
http://www.history.army.mil/bookshelves.html don't seem to have what I
want.
Kenneth Young
2015-04-28 16:04:25 UTC
Post by William Clodius
but I would appreciate definitive numbers including
smoke, AP, and white phosphorous.
The main problem is that the main gun was not required for smoke and
possibly WP. Both British and German tanks had smoke throwers in the
British case IIRC they were variants on the 2 inch mortar mounted on the
tank turret.
Michele
2015-04-28 17:48:51 UTC
Post by Kenneth Young
Post by William Clodius
but I would appreciate definitive numbers including
smoke, AP, and white phosphorous.
The main problem is that the main gun was not required for smoke and
possibly WP. Both British and German tanks had smoke throwers in the
British case IIRC they were variants on the 2 inch mortar mounted on the
tank turret.
As a last-ditch measure you throw smoke cartridges before withdrawing,
essentially creating a smoke screen close to your vehicle and between it
and the enemy.

But often you want smoke at a certain distance from you, possibly right
on top of enemy positions. In that case a Sherman crew would use the M88
smoke round, firing it of course by means of the main gun.
As to the M89 WP round, you don't want that anywhere close to you. And
you deliver it onto the enemy position with the main gun.
William Clodius
2015-04-29 04:41:09 UTC
I forgot to emphasize that I am primarilly intersted int the HE/AP
ration.