Fate of German wounded at Stalingrad
Nicholas Steel
2004-10-24 22:44:30 UTC
The German surrender at Stalingrad culminated in the Germans being
marched out in a long line which stretched to the horizon. Im sure
many readers of this newsgroup have seen the footage.

I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
Damond Walker
2004-10-25 19:10:35 UTC
Post by Nicholas Steel
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
For the most part they ended up in the ground. Considering the
brutality of the situation I can imagine some small amount were taken
care of but most of them simply met their ends in Stalingrad.
SnipeUNblue
2004-10-28 02:36:26 UTC
Consensus on ***@yahoogroups.com seems to be that they were either left
to starve and frease in the cellers or shot/bayonetted in place.

Snipe
Nils K. Hammer
2004-10-30 15:09:05 UTC
A grossduetschland machinegunner told me that there was a russian woman doctor
who saved troops when she could, using a wheelbarrow and risking death by
badgering and insulting the red army troops guarding prisoners until they let
her take the wounded away one at a time.

Nils
Cub Driver
2004-10-26 17:22:53 UTC
Post by Nicholas Steel
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
Presumably they died, like most of the men who walked out.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: ***@mailblocks.com (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
ian maclure
2004-10-29 01:22:05 UTC
Post by Cub Driver
Post by Nicholas Steel
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
Presumably they died, like most of the men who walked out.
IIRC something like 5000 of the Germans captured at Stalingrad
survived to be repatriated. Not good odds even for the healthy.

IBM

George Hardy
2004-10-30 15:11:24 UTC
Post by ian maclure
IIRC something like 5000 of the Germans captured at Stalingrad
survived to be repatriated. Not good odds even for the healthy.
But be fair (to the Russians). There were NO healthy soldiers.
At best they were poorly clothed, badly fed, and living on the
very last of their energy reserves.

Not unlike the US Army soldiers captued in the Philippines.

GFH
Jim Garner
2004-11-02 18:40:08 UTC
Post by ian maclure
IIRC something like 5000 of the Germans captured at Stalingrad
survived to be repatriated. Not good odds even for the healthy.
So did any of the prisoners remain in Russia and become integrated into
thje population as a) citizens b) some kind of slave? Are there any who
are still there? (Hmm dubious this last query -- they'd be in their
late seventies by now).

--
Jim Garner, sage and dogsbody. ***@ncf.ca (filtered, see below).
E-mail is filtered out unless subject line includes "GRAN"
"Buy the steak, not the sizzle"
Cub Driver
2004-11-03 17:29:11 UTC
Post by Jim Garner
So did any of the prisoners remain in Russia and become integrated into
thje population as a) citizens b) some kind of slave? Are there any who
are still there? (Hmm dubious this last query -- they'd be in their
late seventies by now).
Very likely there were Germans who merged into the population. As to
the distinction between citizen and slave, there really wouldn't have
been that much difference, out on the steppes or in the far north.
It's true that being a PW in such conditions shortens the life, but
it's entirely conceivable that such a man could survive into his
eighties or even longer. After all, we have a population of a hundred
thousand or so to select from.

SnipeUNblue
2004-11-04 17:25:00 UTC
Some German POW's did indeed become accepted in the local communities, got
married and lived a full life as far as a Russian could live at the time. I
know of a story of two German soldiers who were beer makers before the war and
before they entered the German Miliyary. Because of this they were very popular
and were put to work making beer for the locals. When Commisars would come
through looking for the Fascists the locals would tell the Commisar no German's
were to be found in the local area. If the Commisar pressed the issue the local
russians would delicatly hint that the commisar should take some vodka as a
gift and be on his way and I do not know how they implied this but by some use
of words they let it be known that if he did not want to end up in a ditch with
his juglar cut open he'd take the vodka and leave. This is how much the locals
prized the German Beer.

So I heard that years later the Germans became owners of the brewery the
locals set up for them.
As for the Wounded no one I have talked to knows for sure. Conventional wisdom
says the Russians just left them to die from the cold in the basements.
Possibly bayoneted a few who were suspected of recovering too soon.

Mike
Michael Emrys
2004-11-03 19:21:26 UTC
Are there any who are still there? (Hmm dubious this last query -- they'd
be in their late seventies by now).
Early to late eighties is more like it.

Michael
Damond Walker
2004-11-04 19:56:18 UTC
Post by Jim Garner
So did any of the prisoners remain in Russia and become integrated into
thje population as a) citizens b) some kind of slave? Are there any who
are still there? (Hmm dubious this last query -- they'd be in their
late seventies by now).
Citizens? Slave? Can't say for sure. Of the nearly 100,000 that
surrendered only a few thousand made it back to Germany. Do some
research on the topic.

If you look around hard enough (on the net) you'll find several
Stalingrad vets (German and Russian) posting here and there. In some
cases they answer questions via grandchildren or whatnot because they
don't read English.

Damo
captainky
2004-10-29 01:21:20 UTC
an incredibly small fraction of the surrendered soldiers who were in
"reasonable" shape made it out alive. The ones who were wounded probably had
close to nil survival rate. I cannot imagine the Soviets feeding and caring
for them when they had so many of their own to tend to. Let alone afte the
Germans had invaded and treated them so awfully.
George Hardy
2004-10-30 15:05:47 UTC
Post by Nicholas Steel
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
The unwounded troops were in very bad condition. Unwounded
German soldiers were hardly able to carry wounded comrades.
The Russians left no German soldier on the ground alive. Nor
would any American, German, Japanese or Brit in a similar situation.

The Russians were unprepared for the very poor condition of
the Germans. It was their first major capture of Germans.
The Russians learned from this experience and were better
prepared after Stalingrad.

GFH
Tim Watkins
2004-10-30 15:08:02 UTC
Post by Nicholas Steel
The German surrender at Stalingrad culminated in the Germans being
marched out in a long line which stretched to the horizon. Im sure
many readers of this newsgroup have seen the footage.
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
It is my understanding that the approximately 95,000 Germans taken
prisoner at Stalingrad were not only marched to the horizon, but were
marched on foot all the way to Siberia to be incarcerated in Russian
POW gulags. One can imagine the number of Germans that never even
made it to Siberia, when one considers that only approximately 5,000
Germans ever got back to their homelands after the war, many of them
not until the mid 1950's.

I once had a conversation with a German who had been a POW in Russia.
He told me that Russian fisherman would catch fish and the Russian
villagers would get the bodies of the fish. The German POW's would
get the heads of the fish and, if they were lucky, would get an
occasional potato to divide up amongst their comrades.

Tim Watkins
Begbie
2004-11-05 04:38:42 UTC
Post by Nicholas Steel
The German surrender at Stalingrad culminated in the Germans being
marched out in a long line which stretched to the horizon. Im sure
many readers of this newsgroup have seen the footage.
I am wondering what happened to the wounded who could not walk?
--
One of the definitive works on the whole subject
"Enemy at the Gates - The Battle for Stalingrad by Cornelius Ryan, 1973"

The simple answer is, death.

Don

Toronto, Canada
Andrew Warinner
2004-11-07 14:13:55 UTC
Post by Begbie
One of the definitive works on the whole subject
"Enemy at the Gates - The Battle for Stalingrad by Cornelius Ryan, 1973"
has some harrowing tales.
Wasn't it Willam Craig?

Antony Beevor's 'Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege' is good too.

Andrew Warinner
***@xnet.com
http://home.xnet.com/~warinner
Begbie
2004-11-09 22:58:35 UTC
Post by Andrew Warinner
Post by Begbie
One of the definitive works on the whole subject
"Enemy at the Gates - The Battle for Stalingrad by Cornelius Ryan, 1973"
has some harrowing tales.
Wasn't it Willam Craig?
Antony Beevor's 'Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege' is good too.
Andrew Warinner
http://home.xnet.com/~warinner
You are correct. The cover of my edition is misleading. It was reviewed by
Cornelius Ryan.
Found it for $4 at a garage sale. I have only read - The Fall of Berilin, by
Beevor. I must check it out.