Nimitz House
Merlin Dorfman
2013-09-08 03:43:23 UTC
Today while exploring the new Eastern Span of the San Francisco Bay
Bridge, I stopped at Yerba Buena Island and went to "Quarters 1," also
known as Nimitz House, where Admiral Nimitz spent his last years and died
in 1966.
http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1991001380.asp
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wwiibayarea/qua.htm
The house is almost under the bridge. The noise is deafening. Is
the house well insulated for sound, or perhaps was the Admiral very hard
of hearing as he approached age 80?
David Wilma
2013-09-08 14:43:22 UTC
Perhaps louder, or at least different, in Nimitz's time. When first
constructed the bridge's lower deck was dedicated to truck
and rail traffic. The switch to all vehicle traffic was in the
early 50s.
sctvguy1
2013-09-08 17:08:01 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
Today while exploring the new Eastern Span of the San Francisco Bay
Bridge, I stopped at Yerba Buena Island and went to "Quarters 1," also
known as Nimitz House, where Admiral Nimitz spent his last years and
died in 1966.
http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/nat1991001380.asp
http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/wwiibayarea/qua.htm
The house is almost under the bridge. The noise is deafening. Is
the house well insulated for sound, or perhaps was the Admiral very hard
of hearing as he approached age 80?
I thought you were speaking of his original home in Fredricksburg, TX.
Great museum there about him and the Pacific War.