Telescopic sights
Michael Emrys
2013-06-11 04:05:59 UTC
Here is a question that just occurred to me and that I don't have the
answer to. When were the first telescopic sights for rifles made, either
for hunting or military purposes? I am inclined to doubt that it was
before the middle of the 19th. century, but I don't have a readily
available source to check.

Michael
Duwop
2013-06-11 04:34:34 UTC
Post by Michael Emrys
Here is a question that just occurred to me and that I don't have the
answer to. When were the first telescopic sights for rifles made, either
for hunting or military purposes? I am inclined to doubt that it was
before the middle of the 19th. century, but I don't have a readily
available source to check.
Not far off, first known written mention seems to be around 1835 or
1844.

Fairly well used in the US Civil War which would support it's
invention being a decade or two earlier.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/11/sights-telescopic-sight-i.html

http://ezinearticles.com/?History-of-Rifle-Scopes&id=7274047

Wonder just how many were fitted for use in WWII where the technology
served so many functions.
Submarines, rifles, cannons, bombadiers, am surely missing some.
Michael Emrys
2013-06-11 13:21:04 UTC
Post by Duwop
Not far off, first known written mention seems to be around 1835 or
1844.
Thanks, Duwop. From the first link you gave:

"The first telescopic sight that actually worked well for practical use,
was invented in 1880 by one August Fiedler from the town of Stronsdorf,
Austria, who worked as a forestry commissioner of Prince Reuss. There
were other improvements made by various parties and soon, an Austrian
firm named Kahles started factory production, thereby becoming the
oldest known manufacturer of rifle scopes."

which is what I was looking for.

:-)

Michael

Bill
2013-06-11 13:20:38 UTC
Post by Michael Emrys
Here is a question that just occurred to me and that I don't have the
answer to. When were the first telescopic sights for rifles made, either
for hunting or military purposes? I am inclined to doubt that it was
before the middle of the 19th. century, but I don't have a readily
available source to check.
Wikipedia is your friend...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopic_sights#History