War Memorial - Eaglesham Scotland
JP
2004-06-16 23:50:20 UTC
On one of many occasions while stuck in a traffic queue in Eaglesham village
I noticed the name, Margaret Watt on the war memorial plaque for 1939 - 45.
As it is relatively unusual to see a woman's name on a war memorial I got
curious and tried to look her up on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
web site to see what service she was in etc. There was no mention of a
Margaret Watt.

Anyone any idea who she was and how she met her death?

JP

theresa
2004-06-17 17:16:35 UTC
Post by JP
On one of many occasions while stuck in a traffic queue in Eaglesham village
I noticed the name, Margaret Watt on the war memorial plaque for 1939 - 45.
As it is relatively unusual to see a woman's name on a war memorial I got
curious and tried to look her up on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
web site to see what service she was in etc. There was no mention of a
Margaret Watt.
Anyone any idea who she was and how she met her death?
JP
--
I found her listed as a cvillian in the CWG Commission site:

Name: WATT, MARGARET BYERS
Initials: M B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Civilian
Regiment: Civilian War Dead
Age: 60
Date of Death: 16/04/1941
Additional information: of 5 Hazeldene Gardens. Died at 5 Hazeldene
Gardens.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Civilian Roll of Honour Section BOROUGH OF BANGOR
ian maclure
2004-06-18 20:13:13 UTC
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:16:35 -0500, theresa wrote:

[snip]
Post by theresa
Name: WATT, MARGARET BYERS
Initials: M B
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Civilian
Regiment: Civilian War Dead
Age: 60
Date of Death: 16/04/1941
Additional information: of 5 Hazeldene Gardens. Died at 5 Hazeldene
Gardens.
Casualty Type: Civilian War Dead
Civilian Roll of Honour Section BOROUGH OF BANGOR
Air raid casualty at a guess. In the dying embers of
the Battle of Britain. The Germans didn't withdraw
all of their bomber units from that effort until May
41 or so. Of course the major combat had ended by
approx Nov '40 but sporadic stuff continued until the
date given above.

MB
2004-06-17 21:59:00 UTC
Post by JP
On one of many occasions while stuck in a traffic queue in Eaglesham village
I noticed the name, Margaret Watt on the war memorial plaque for 1939 - 45.
As it is relatively unusual to see a woman's name on a war memorial I got
curious and tried to look her up on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
web site to see what service she was in etc. There was no mention of a
Margaret Watt.
There is a Margaret Byers Watt age 60 who died 16 April 1941. It gives
and an address in the Borough of Bangor. Perhaps she came from
Eaglesham originally.

There is a war grave locally (in the Highlands) for someone killed
whilst working in a hospital in London.

MB
Eystein Roll Aarseth
2004-06-18 15:08:37 UTC
Post by JP
On one of many occasions while stuck in a traffic queue in Eaglesham village
I noticed the name, Margaret Watt on the war memorial plaque for 1939 - 45.
As it is relatively unusual to see a woman's name on a war memorial I got
curious and tried to look her up on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
web site to see what service she was in etc. There was no mention of a
Margaret Watt.
Anyone any idea who she was and how she met her death?
Try mailing the folks at <URL: http://www.eaglesham.com/>. I didn't
find anything about it there, but they might know more. Failing that,
they might know if there's a local Historical Society or something
like that. Should be, if the Scots are as nuts about knowing local history
as us Norwegians...

A few quotes from the website [1]:

With the advent of the war, Eaglesham was regarded as a safe area and
provisions were made to give shelter for evacuees from the city.
[...]
However, the most notable event of the war for the village of Eaglesham
was when Rudolph Hess, Hitlers Deputy Leader, crashed his plane in a
field of Floors Farm and bailed out by parachute.

[1] from this page:

EAa
--
[Laphroaig is] a fine single malt prepared by Scots too frugal to waste
time on fripperies like barley and malt, and who thus proceed by distilling
-- Patrick R. Wade
JP
2004-06-22 15:21:42 UTC
Thanks for the responses.

It puts a proper perspective on things when one is getting mad at being
stuck in traffic, late for a meeting, to be reminded how fortunate I am to
be in that position.

Regards

JP
d***@gmail.com
2013-08-16 23:43:33 UTC
I have often had the same thought as I pass the church. Who is this woman on the plaque? Was she a spy? A front line nurse? A blitz victim?
There is a Margaret Watt in the local grave yard. But she died in Oct 1946. So this has made me more curious.
I have written to the church and I await a reply ( which I'll pass on)
Kinda regards David