WW2: Regimental Holding Units
Swanitch 40
2006-02-10 16:36:01 UTC
I am trying to resolve a mystery in my fathers service record. He
served with the East Lancs and 144th RAC up to May 1944 when he was
moved to 32RHU. What function did it perform? I checked its War diary
in the National Archive but detail was virtually non existent. Is
there any other way I can find out what regiment he moved to next?

All help appreciated.

SW40
DAVID CONSTABLE
2006-02-10 20:57:04 UTC
As far as I know this would be a Reinforcement? Holding Unit.

He might go there after discharge from hospital if he was wounded, also if
his unit was disbanded.

Check his discharge date, he might have been discharged soon after, if not
he ought to have gone to another unit which should be listed. On odd
occasions errors occur and if sent back to the original unit it is not
listed.

If not capable of front line service he might have gone there and served in
the unit, in which case it would be the last unit listed.

David
v***@skyhighway.com
2006-02-10 23:01:30 UTC
Greetings Swanitch 40, I've encountered similar mysteries in my own
father's military record. To narrow things down a bit, since the info
provided is very limited and just to ensure you're checking the right
army group: Was he a soldier in the Canadian or the British or
Australian or New Zealand Army?

Alexi
Swanitch 40
2006-02-13 17:15:14 UTC
He was in the British Army. He was in 5th BTN East Lancs until early
May'44. Then 32RHU. I found him in the archive in 9th BTN Durham
Light Infantry until he was injured in August '44.

The records show him as joining them late June, but I am sure he landed
in Normandy on the 6th. Unfortunately the June records for the 6th
BTN DLI, which I thought he may have been in are not in the archive.
That's why I had hoped the RHU records may have shown where he was
allocated.

SW40
i***@sky.com