Thoughts on ""The SS Dirlewanger Brigade: The History of--"
a425couple
2014-02-28 19:21:17 UTC
A friend recently loaned me:

"The SS Dirlewanger Brigade: The History of the Black Hunters"
By Christian Ingrao Translated by Phoebe Green

Perversely, them loaning it to me, caused me to read the
whole thing, for otherwise I certainly would have set it
aside quite early on.
My personal opinion is it is a tough slog and not worth the time!
Perhaps part of my issue is that it was originally written in French,
and then translated (perhaps poorly) into English.

Read a sample at:
http://books.google.com/books?id=D2EtAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT6&dq=The+SS+Dirlewanger+
(OK - I had to delete the rest to get this to be accepted
by automated mail handeling agent!!
If you want to read a fair hunk, then figure it out!)

How about the line?
"The culture of war, the cynegetic and the pastorial imagination,
the social construction of a gestural language of violence: these
are the axes orienting our-----"
Actually, I think the word "cynegetic" is used every 2nd page!

In my opinion, save your time and money and read these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Dirlewanger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/36th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cottbus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wola_massacre
(I think those sources are more clear, specific, and informative
than the book. But anyone is welcome to read the book
and post their opinion.)
Rich Rostrom
2014-03-01 17:53:53 UTC
Post by a425couple
http://books.google.com/books?id=D2EtAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT6&dq=The+SS+Dirlewanger+
(OK - I had to delete the rest to get this to be accepted
by automated mail handeling agent
http://books.google.com/books?id=D2EtAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT6

works fine. In general, all that is needed in a
GoogleBooks link are the "id" and "pg" parameters.

I've seen far too many GoogleBooks links of
200 to 400 characters which can easily be
de-crufted down to 50-60.

I agree that the text is rather thick modern
acadamese. "Modes of construction"?
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com