German Sources
Tiglath
2016-01-18 05:53:45 UTC
German sources translated to English.

Is there there a German source(s) on WWII of the sweep of Churchill's masterpiece?

Thx
Mario
2016-01-18 22:28:48 UTC
Post by Tiglath
German sources translated to English.
Is there there a German source(s) on WWII of the sweep of
Churchill's masterpiece?
The only author that could write such work killed himself on
April 30 1945.
oiram
Tiglath
I agree entirely, though Adolph's prose is rather pedestrian next to Winston's.
SolomonW
2016-01-21 23:42:01 UTC
Post by Tiglath
[14 quoted lines suppressed]
I agree entirely, though Adolph's prose is rather pedestrian next to Winston's.
That maybe but Hitler's book which is an autobiography, was for a long time
exceeded in popularity only by the Bible.
The Horny Goat
2016-01-22 05:26:15 UTC
Post by SolomonW
Post by Tiglath
[14 quoted lines suppressed]
I agree entirely, though Adolph's prose is rather pedestrian next to Winston's.
That maybe but Hitler's book which is an autobiography, was for a long time
exceeded in popularity only by the Bible.
Hate to tell you this but 1933-45 it was also a pretty much required
bridal gift - Hitler received royalties from Mein Kampf and that is
primarily why he collected a salary of 1 mark per year from the Third
Reich.

Now to be sure, if offered a FREE choice between Mein Kampf and the
30s equivalent of the Joy of Sex I suspect the choice might have been
a tad different but given actual conditions (i.e. that preferring the
marriage manual might get either or both of you a detailed tour of
Dachau) it's a pretty obvious selection.
The Horny Goat
2016-01-21 23:41:29 UTC
Post by Mario
Post by Tiglath
Is there there a German source(s) on WWII of the sweep of
Churchill's masterpiece?
The only author that could write such work killed himself on
April 30 1945.
If you're suggesting Hitler was anything like the writer Churchill was
I'm amazed.

If you compare Mein Kampf to The World Crisis (which was written
around the same time) there's no question which is easier to read.
Which isn't really surprising as Churchill had written 10 books by the
time Mein Kampf was written.

One may reasonably argue that Churchill habitually gilded his own lily
but one cannot reasonably argue he was not a capable writer. No
question Hitler was a gifted speechifier but as a writer? You have got
to be kidding me!
Mario
2016-01-25 19:00:48 UTC
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:28:48 -0500, Mario
Post by Mario
Post by Tiglath
Is there there a German source(s) on WWII of the sweep of
Churchill's masterpiece?
The only author that could write such work killed himself on
April 30 1945.
If you're suggesting Hitler was anything like the writer
Churchill was I'm amazed.
If you compare Mein Kampf to The World Crisis (which was
written around the same time) there's no question which is
easier to read. Which isn't really surprising as Churchill
had written 10 books by the time Mein Kampf was written.
Sure, but Tiglath didn't request good readability of the work.
One may reasonably argue that Churchill habitually gilded his
own lily but one cannot reasonably argue he was not a capable
writer. No question Hitler was a gifted speechifier but as a
writer? You have got to be kidding me!
:-)

I thought that because AH was in the topmost position in
Germany during WWII so he held the same position of Churchill,
or even more on the top's top.
oiram
Bill Shatzer
2016-01-25 19:59:36 UTC
Post by Mario
Post by Tiglath
[...]
Wasn't Mein Kampf actually written by Hess? I mean, the thoughts were
Hitler's but the language and organization were Hess's?

And, of course, I've no idea how the language and readability of the
book might be in the original German. The English translation contains
some terribly turgid writing but that could be the fault of the English
translator and it might read much better in the original German.
The Horny Goat
2016-01-30 05:43:03 UTC
Post by Mario
Post by The Horny Goat
One may reasonably argue that Churchill habitually gilded his
own lily but one cannot reasonably argue he was not a capable
writer. No question Hitler was a gifted speechifier but as a
writer? You have got to be kidding me!
:-)
I thought that because AH was in the topmost position in
Germany during WWII so he held the same position of Churchill,
or even more on the top's top.
Are you seriously suggesting Hitler's literary skills were the equal
of Churchill's?

Do you have any evidence suggesting anything of the kind?

Do you have any evidence suggesting that Mein Kampf's status as a
German best seller 1933-45 had anything to do with its literary value?

Bottom line is that had Churchill died most any time in the last 5
years before WW2 most of his books would still be in print today. It's
inconceivable any such thing would ever be said about Hitler had he
died before the war which he started.

Churchill had written more than 10 books before Hitler ever saw the
inside of Landsberg prison. Presumably he had become a better writer
during that time!
Mario
2016-02-02 21:17:14 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 14:00:48 -0500, Mario
Post by Mario
Post by The Horny Goat
One may reasonably argue that Churchill habitually gilded
his own lily but one cannot reasonably argue he was not a
capable writer. No question Hitler was a gifted speechifier
but as a writer? You have got to be kidding me!
:-)
I thought that because AH was in the topmost position in
Germany during WWII so he held the same position of
Churchill, or even more on the top's top.
Are you seriously suggesting Hitler's literary skills were
the equal of Churchill's?
Not at all, where do you read that?
Do you have any evidence suggesting anything of the kind?
I never wrote that AH was a good writer.
Do you have any evidence suggesting that Mein Kampf's status
as a German best seller 1933-45 had anything to do with its
literary value?
I never wrote that.
Bottom line is that had Churchill died most any time in the
last 5 years before WW2 most of his books would still be in
print today. It's inconceivable any such thing would ever be
said about Hitler had he died before the war which he
started.
Churchill had written more than 10 books before Hitler ever
saw the inside of Landsberg prison. Presumably he had become
a better writer during that time!
What I wrote is that during WWII AH was in the topmost
political position, like WC was.
A good position to write a history of WWII from the German
viewpoint.
That's all I wrote.
--
oiram