Atlantic Magazine Photo History
Merlin Dorfman
2013-08-27 04:30:13 UTC
I recently stumbled across a 20-part photo history of WW II on the
web page of the Atlantic magazine. Each part contains 45 photos. Don't
recall if it has ever been mentioned on the newsgroup but it is worth some
time checking out:
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/pages/ww2/
WJHopwood
2013-08-29 20:57:53 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
I recently stumbled across a 20-part photo history of WW II on the
web page of the Atlantic magazine. Each part contains 45 photos. Don't
recall if it has ever been mentioned on the newsgroup but it is worth some
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/pages/ww2/
If, as the saying goes, "one picture is worth a thousand words," this
remarkable collection is an encyclopedia of WWII history.

I think the following newsreel of the Japanese surrender ceremony
is also worth viewing, particularly for those who never heard or may
have forgotten what MacArthur's voice sounded like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_kF1zXc&feature=player_embedded

WJH
Merlin Dorfman
2013-08-30 04:19:46 UTC
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:57:53 -0400, WJHopwood wrote:

..
I think the following newsreel of the Japanese surrender ceremony is
also worth viewing, particularly for those who never heard or may have
forgotten what MacArthur's voice sounded like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_kF1zXc&feature=player_embedded
Thanks for providing this link. It might be worth while for each of
us to watch that video every Sept. 2.
BTW please check the aircraft at 0:15 to 0:20 in the video. At first
I thought it was a B-17, but--even though the picture is kind of blurry--
it looks more like the XB-15.
WJHopwood
2013-08-30 22:22:42 UTC
I think the following newsreel of the Japanese surrender ceremony is
also worth viewing.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=vcnH_kF1zXc&feature=player_embedded
.... BTW please check the aircraft at 0:15 to 0:20 in the video. At first
I thought it was a B-17, but--even though the picture is kind of blurry--
it looks more like the XB-15.
It's hard to tell but you may be right. I don't believe the bomber in
question was part of the surrender ceremony. It may have been put in
the newsreel as part of the introduction as were the marching troops at
the beginning. Although that part of the video is blurry if you look quickly
the nose portion of the plane just forward of the windshield looks different
to me than either the B-17 or B-29.

WJH