IJN UNREP?
Merlin Dorfman
2013-07-30 22:08:27 UTC
I know that the Japanese Navy was able to refuel at sea--the Kido
Butai did so on its way to Pearl Harbor--but could they do this underway
or did they have to stop? Also could they transfer ammunition and
supplies at sea, or did they have to go into port for that? And were they
able to improve their practices during the course of the war?
Bill Shatzer
2013-07-31 05:12:17 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
I know that the Japanese Navy was able to refuel at sea--the Kido
Butai did so on its way to Pearl Harbor--but could they do this underway
or did they have to stop? Also could they transfer ammunition and
supplies at sea, or did they have to go into port for that? And were they
able to improve their practices during the course of the war?
You can't refuel at sea hove to - you have to maintain at least a
minimum seaway or the ships will drift apart (snapping the lines) or
bang into one another.
Geoffrey Sinclair
2013-07-31 14:35:26 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
I know that the Japanese Navy was able to refuel at sea--the Kido
Butai did so on its way to Pearl Harbor--but could they do this underway
or did they have to stop?
The ships refulled while moving, via a hose trailled astern of the
tanker, the classic tanker with a ship either side and multiple
hoses going was very much a USN only arrangement.

The IJN had done some work pre war but the arrangement
for the Pearl Harbor raid was an improvisation and 3 of the
carriers carried fuel as cargo. The ships tended to refuel
every day or second day to maximise on board fuel and
they reported problems with station keeping while the hose
was attached.
Post by Merlin Dorfman
Also could they transfer ammunition and
supplies at sea, or did they have to go into port for that?
As far as I am aware of it the IJN did not transfer ammunition
and non fuel supplies at sea. I do not know if they ever used
the alongside method of refuelling, which would be a first
requirement before trying to transfer other supplies.
Post by Merlin Dorfman
And were they
able to improve their practices during the course of the war?
Yes, for example the use of tankers at the Philippine Sea
battle but the need for such refuellings was minimal and the
Japanese ability to provide appropriately equipped and
trained tankers was small.

It does not look like the IJN used larger warships to top up
smaller ships like destroyers, unlike the USN.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.