Henry John Hiscox, killed in action 21/07/1944
Loe Giesen
2004-11-23 00:37:48 UTC
In the graveyard of Beesel (Netherlands) is the grave of an English
soldier called Henry John Hiscox. He was killed in the night of
20th/21st of Jyly 1944 when his bomber, an Avro Lancaster B1 flying to
the Ruhr area to bomb the oil refineries at Homberg, was shot down
over the village of Kessel and crashed in the river Meuse.
Of the crew of seven only two were found. Hiscox was buried at Beesel.
On his tombstone is says: "928092 Flight Sergeant H.J. Hiscox, Air
gunner Royal Air Force, 21st July 1944, Age 35. At the going down of
the sun and in the morning we will remember him".
Each year on the eve of 5th May, when the dead of Word War II are
remembered all over the Netherlands, the mayor, representatives of the
council and school children put flowers on his grave. And each time it
strikes us that nobody really knows who Henry John Hiscox was.
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Maidenhead we learned that
Henry John was a son of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Hiscox, 33 Morgan Street,
Newport, Monmouthshire. In 1940 he volunteered for the Air Force at
Uxbridge. He was married to E.I.M. Hiscox and had a family of two, a
son and a daughter. In the archives at Beesel we found some notes on
Mr. and Mrs. Hiscox's visits to their son's grave in 1949 and 1951.

We would like to know Henry John Hisxoc better, so we send this appeal
for help. We are looking for relatives or the children of Henry John,
who could give us some information on him. A few years ago, from David
Rimmer, County Archivist at Gwent Record Office, we got six adresses
of people with the surname Hiscox, but none would answer our letter.

If you know anything, we would appreciate your help.

Loe Giesen, Reuver - Netherlands
Andrew
2004-11-29 15:38:21 UTC
You could contact the Department of Research & Information Services at the
RAF Museum at Hendon. See
http://www.rafmuseum.com/london/research/enquiries.cfm for more information
about how they can help. They probably won't be able to help (directly at
least) with tracing his family, but may be able to provide other
information.

Andrew
Post by Loe Giesen
In the graveyard of Beesel (Netherlands) is the grave of an English
soldier called Henry John Hiscox. He was killed in the night of
20th/21st of Jyly 1944 when his bomber, an Avro Lancaster B1 flying to
the Ruhr area to bomb the oil refineries at Homberg, was shot down
over the village of Kessel and crashed in the river Meuse.
Of the crew of seven only two were found. Hiscox was buried at Beesel.
On his tombstone is says: "928092 Flight Sergeant H.J. Hiscox, Air
gunner Royal Air Force, 21st July 1944, Age 35. At the going down of
the sun and in the morning we will remember him".
Each year on the eve of 5th May, when the dead of Word War II are
remembered all over the Netherlands, the mayor, representatives of the
council and school children put flowers on his grave. And each time it
strikes us that nobody really knows who Henry John Hiscox was.
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Maidenhead we learned that
h***@gmail.com
2013-11-21 16:43:27 UTC
Post by Loe Giesen
In the graveyard of Beesel (Netherlands) is the grave of an English
soldier called Henry John Hiscox. He was killed in the night of
20th/21st of Jyly 1944 when his bomber, an Avro Lancaster B1 flying to
the Ruhr area to bomb the oil refineries at Homberg, was shot down
over the village of Kessel and crashed in the river Meuse.
Of the crew of seven only two were found. Hiscox was buried at Beesel.
On his tombstone is says: "928092 Flight Sergeant H.J. Hiscox, Air
gunner Royal Air Force, 21st July 1944, Age 35. At the going down of
the sun and in the morning we will remember him".
Each year on the eve of 5th May, when the dead of Word War II are
remembered all over the Netherlands, the mayor, representatives of the
council and school children put flowers on his grave. And each time it
strikes us that nobody really knows who Henry John Hiscox was.
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Maidenhead we learned that
Henry John was a son of Mr. and Mrs. W.P. Hiscox, 33 Morgan Street,
Newport, Monmouthshire. In 1940 he volunteered for the Air Force at
Uxbridge. He was married to E.I.M. Hiscox and had a family of two, a
son and a daughter. In the archives at Beesel we found some notes on
Mr. and Mrs. Hiscox's visits to their son's grave in 1949 and 1951.
We would like to know Henry John Hisxoc better, so we send this appeal
for help. We are looking for relatives or the children of Henry John,
who could give us some information on him. A few years ago, from David
Rimmer, County Archivist at Gwent Record Office, we got six adresses
of people with the surname Hiscox, but none would answer our letter.
If you know anything, we would appreciate your help.
Loe Giesen, Reuver - Netherlands
--
I know you are probably not looking for this but do you know his mother of fathers name as his mother would be my great great great aunt please reply. Thanks