WW2 officer figures for navies
SolomonW
2014-11-16 19:35:47 UTC
I was reading this article
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2014/11/14/when-britain-really-ruled-the-waves/

as was wondering whether these ctiticism is justified

"The British Royal Navy now has more admirals (33) than warships (29, ...As
of last year, there were 260 captains. 'Stick close to your desk, and never
go to sea,โ€ Gilbert & Sullivan wrote, which might not be satirical career
advice anymore"

What would be WW2 figures for navies?

---
SolomonW
2014-11-19 15:37:28 UTC
Post by SolomonW
I was reading this article
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2014/11/14/when-britain-really-ruled-the-waves/
as was wondering whether these ctiticism is justified
"The British Royal Navy now has more admirals (33) than warships (29, ...As
of last year, there were 260 captains. 'Stick close to your desk, and never
go to sea,โ€ Gilbert & Sullivan wrote, which might not be satirical career
advice anymore"
What would be WW2 figures for navies?
---
Since no-one decided to help me out, I decided to do some research as an
approx figure according to the Wikipedia during ww2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Royal_Navy_admirals_of_World_War_II

Possibly some are not mentioned but listed here are approx 102 RN admirals.
I know many of these were not active throughout the war but let us leave
that out for the approx figure.

According to this website during ww2
http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignRoyalNavy.htm

The British had in 1945, 885 ships in service.

With means very approx there was one admiral for nine ships.

The US navy according to the wikipedia here had approx 162 admirals

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Navy_World_War_II_admirals

According to the wikipedia, the US navy had
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_in_World_War_II

At its peak, the U.S. Navy was operating 6,768 ships on V-J Day in August
1945, including 28 aircraft carriers, 23 battleships, 71 escort carriers,
72 cruisers, over 232 submarines, 377 destroyers, and thousands of
amphibious, supply and auxiliary ships.[9]

Since to get a fair comparsion making it like for like which means dropping
many of these ships we get.

Capital ships..23
Carriers....28
Cruisers....72
Destroyers...377
Submarines...232

About 732 ships, which gives us about 1 admiral per 4.5 ships.

Again, these figures are very approximate.

---
Merlin Dorfman
2014-11-19 19:43:10 UTC
On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 10:37:28 -0500, SolomonW wrote:

..
Post by SolomonW
The US navy according to the wikipedia here had approx 162 admirals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Category:United_States_Navy_World_War_II_admirals

Thinking about how top-heavy these ranks were or were not...
Of these 162, how many were in the top (4- and 5-star) ranks?
Working from memory, Leahy, King, and Nimitz were five-star admirals; at
the end of the war, I believe the following were four-star admirals:
- Spruance and Halsey (Fifth and Third Fleets)
- Stark (US naval forces in Europe)
- Ingersoll (Atlantic Fleet)
- Kincaid (Seventh Fleet)
- Towers (?) Deputy Cincpac
- Turner (?) Amphibious Commander
I don't believe Horne (Vice CNO) and Edwards (CNO Chief of Staff) got
their fourth stars during the war. Have I missed any others?
So that seems like a reasonable number of "top dogs," certainly
compared to today when we have maybe 50 or more four-star officers of all
services; even the commanders of second- and third-tier organizations like
DIA and TRADOC are four-star billets.
SolomonW
2014-11-20 15:40:13 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
So that seems like a reasonable number of "top dogs," certainly
compared to today when we have maybe 50 or more four-star officers of all
services; even the commanders of second- and third-tier organizations like
DIA and TRADOC are four-star billets.
Yep.

I was thinking part of the difference between the American and British
figures maybe because the US navy in the Pacific had a dual system while
one staff team was executing an operation a second team was planning a new
operation. Then when the first operation was finished the alternative team
took over.

---
Mark Sieving
2014-11-21 16:30:03 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
Thinking about how top-heavy these ranks were or were not...
Of these 162, how many were in the top (4- and 5-star) ranks?
Working from memory, Leahy, King, and Nimitz were five-star admirals; at
- Spruance and Halsey (Fifth and Third Fleets)
- Stark (US naval forces in Europe)
- Ingersoll (Atlantic Fleet)
- Kincaid (Seventh Fleet)
- Towers (?) Deputy Cincpac
- Turner (?) Amphibious Commander
I don't believe Horne (Vice CNO) and Edwards (CNO Chief of Staff) got
their fourth stars during the war. Have I missed any others?
According to the Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the United
States Navy and Marines, July 1, 1945, there were 3 Fleet Admirals (5 star), 10
Admirals (4 star), 35 Vice Admirals (3 star) and 178 Rear Admirals (2 star) on
the active list. In addition, there were 107 Commodores active.

The 4 star Admirals, in order of seniority, were:
* Harold Raynsford Stark
* Royal Eason Ingersoll
* William Frederick Halsey, Jr.
* Raymond Ames Spruance
* Jonas Howard Ingram
* Frederick Joseph Horne
* Richard Stanislaus Edwards
* Henry Kent Hewitt
* Thomas Cassin Kinkaid
* Richmond Kelly Turner
Merlin Dorfman
2014-11-21 19:57:04 UTC
On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 11:30:03 -0500, Mark Sieving wrote:

..
Post by Mark Sieving
According to the Register of Commissioned and Warrant Officers of the
United States Navy and Marines, July 1, 1945, there were 3 Fleet
Admirals (5 star), 10 Admirals (4 star), 35 Vice Admirals (3 star) and
178 Rear Admirals (2 star) on the active list. In addition, there were
107 Commodores active.
* Harold Raynsford Stark * Royal Eason Ingersoll * William Frederick
Halsey, Jr.
* Raymond Ames Spruance * Jonas Howard Ingram * Frederick Joseph Horne *
Richard Stanislaus Edwards * Henry Kent Hewitt * Thomas Cassin Kinkaid *
Richmond Kelly Turner
..

Clark Reynolds's "Famous American Admirals" confirms the above for
those whose biographies are included. However Horne and Edwards are not
in the book. (I believe it's clear that, while they were not "famous,"
their contributions were very important.)
Ingram replaced Ingersoll as CinCLant in November 1944 with promotion
to full Admiral; Ingersoll became Deputy CinC and Deputy CNO as well as
Commander of the Western Sea Frontier.
Hewitt's date of rank was April 1945 when he was commander of US
Naval Forces in the Mediterranean.
Per the above seniority list, dates of rank for Horne and Edwards are
between Ingram's and Hewitt's. Are their dates available? Also, Ingersoll
seems to have taken Horne's job as King's second-in-command; or were the
"Deputy" and "Vice" jobs distinct?
Mark Sieving
2014-11-22 00:31:38 UTC
Post by Merlin Dorfman
Per the above seniority list, dates of rank for Horne and Edwards are
between Ingram's and Hewitt's. Are their dates available? Also, Ingersoll
seems to have taken Horne's job as King's second-in-command; or were the
"Deputy" and "Vice" jobs distinct?
Here's the list of Admirals with date of rank.

* Harold Raynsford Stark, 1 August 1939
* Royal Eason Ingersoll, 1 July 1942
* William Frederick Halsey, Jr., 18 November 1942
* Raymond Ames Spruance, 4 February 1944
* Jonas Howard Ingram, 15 November 1944
* Frederick Joseph Horne, 15 December 1944
* Richard Stanislaus Edwards, 3 April 1945
* Henry Kent Hewitt, 3 April 1945
* Thomas Cassin Kinkaid, 3 April 1945
* Richmond Kelly Turner, 24 May 1945

I don't know about Ingersoll's and Horne's positions. According to Wikipedia,
King created the position of Deputy COMINCH/CNO between CNO and Vice CNO as a
way of easing Horne out.
Geoffrey Sinclair
2014-11-20 15:42:38 UTC
Post by SolomonW
Post by SolomonW
I was reading this article
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2014/11/14/when-britain-really-ruled-the-waves/
as was wondering whether these ctiticism is justified
"The British Royal Navy now has more admirals (33) than warships (29, ...As
of last year, there were 260 captains. 'Stick close to your desk, and never
go to sea,โ€ Gilbert & Sullivan wrote, which might not be satirical career
advice anymore"
The modern militaries are top heavy partly due to ideas about
expansion options, partly to politics (he navy is now small enough
the highest rank will be Commodore is not a likely announcement),
and partly to overheads. That is the bases, the main staffs, the
auxiliary units and so on. Then there is the modern reality of the
increase in support versus actual combat units.
Post by SolomonW
Post by SolomonW
What would be WW2 figures for navies?
Since no-one decided to help me out, I decided to do some research as an
approx figure according to the Wikipedia during ww2
Short of someone having a wartime navy list the information is not
all that accessible. What sort of accuracy is required?
Post by SolomonW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Royal_Navy_admirals_of_World_War_II
Possibly some are not mentioned but listed here are approx 102 RN admirals.
I know many of these were not active throughout the war but let us leave
that out for the approx figure.
According to this website during ww2
http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignRoyalNavy.htm
The British had in 1945, 885 ships in service.
With means very approx there was one admiral for nine ships.
My count as of end September 1945, counting ships in reserve or laid
up is 14 battleships, 7 carriers, 8 light carriers, 39 escort carriers, 60
cruisers, 151 modern and 6 old destroyers, 61 destroyer escorts,
144 submarines, 549 anti submarine escorts, total 1,119.

This ignores the landing craft, the motor torpedo boats, the fleet air
arm, the fleet auxiliaries (fleet train), the bases and dockyards.
Post by SolomonW
The US navy according to the wikipedia here had approx 162 admirals
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_Navy_World_War_II_admirals
According to the wikipedia, the US navy had
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Navy_in_World_War_II
At its peak, the U.S. Navy was operating 6,768 ships on V-J Day in August
1945, including 28 aircraft carriers, 23 battleships, 71 escort carriers,
72 cruisers, over 232 submarines, 377 destroyers, and thousands of
amphibious, supply and auxiliary ships.[9]
Since to get a fair comparsion making it like for like which means dropping
many of these ships we get.
Capital ships..23, Carriers....28, Cruisers....72, Destroyers...377,
Submarines...232
About 732 ships, which gives us about 1 admiral per 4.5 ships.
Again, these figures are very approximate.
Agreed but the extensive air and support systems behind the fleets needs
to be taken into account.

My totals, again counting ships in reserve or laid up, effectively matches
the
Wiki count (I have the totals as of 31 August so they are slightly different
for
the cruisers and destroyers), there were also 34 flush decker destroyers and
361 destroyer escorts. The Alaska class are being counted by Wiki as
cruisers, the Independence class as fleet carriers.

Some 16 flush decker destroyers had been "retired" in July and August 1945
while 27 older submarines had been "retired" October 1944 to August 1945.

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.
Rich Rostrom
2014-11-22 02:00:31 UTC
The British had in 1945...very approx ...one admiral for nine ships.
the US navy had.... about 1 admiral per 4.5 ships.
Of course there are a lot of support commands - bases
and harbors, training and planning.

But besides that.... by WW II, both the US and
British navies had non-ship _combat_ units, namely naval
air bases.

These should be added to the count of ships, to get
a better figure.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
SolomonW
2014-11-23 05:13:23 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
These should be added to the count of ships, to get
a better figure.
Furthermore, as the example of Admiral Harold Stark shows it was rare to
sack an admiral, generally what the US did was transferred them upwards.

---
Michael Emrys
2014-11-23 18:53:45 UTC
...it was rare to sack an admiral, generally what the US did was
transferred them upwards.
In the case of Ghormley I suppose it was a matter of moving him
laterally to a position where he could serve without risking losing the war.

Michael

Don Phillipson
2014-11-20 16:25:34 UTC
Post by SolomonW
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2014/11/14/when-britain-really-ruled-the-waves/
. . .
"The British Royal Navy now has more admirals (33) than warships (29, ...As
of last year, there were 260 captains. 'Stick close to your desk, and never
go to sea,ยก Gilbert & Sullivan wrote, which might not be satirical career
advice anymore"
The author of Parkinson's Law (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law )
was a naval historian and published data like this for the postwar years
when
the RN was seriously reduced.
--
Don Phillipson