Rommel's selection for Africa commmand
Rich Rostrom
2014-03-27 06:28:41 UTC
I'm looking for any source on any
discussion of the selection.

_The Rommel Papers_ and the two
biographies that I've found only
state that he was picked - not
_how_ or _why_ he was picked.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
GFH
2014-03-28 14:38:42 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
I'm looking for any source on any
discussion of the selection.
_The Rommel Papers_ and the two
biographies that I've found only
state that he was picked - not
_how_ or _why_ he was picked.
Rommel was very successful in the Spring 1940
invasion of France. I suggest that 'pick a
winner' was 'why'.

Someone had to go to Africa to bail out the
Italians.

GFH
Rich Rostrom
2014-03-28 18:42:47 UTC
Post by GFH
I'm looking for any source on any discussion of
the selection. _The Rommel Papers_ and the two
biographies that I've found only state that he was
picked - not _how_ or _why_ he was picked.
Rommel was very successful in the Spring 1940
invasion of France. I suggest that 'pick a
winner' was 'why'.
So were lots of others. Also, it's not obvious
that Germany's most successful commander (if
Rommel was recognized as such) would be sent
to what was always going to be a secondary
theater.

Next, whoever was sent would have to command
a bi-national force, which is a special skill
beyond combat generalship.

Furthermore, Rommel was only a division commander
in France. In Africa he was an army commander
(two steps up) which means he was jumped ahead of
seniors.

Now it's also true that he was known personally
to Hitler, having commanded his bodyguard in 1938.
In 1940, Hitler had the progress of Rommel's 7th
Panzer Division reported to him directly. But again,
that doesn't mean Hitler would automatically choose
him for the Africa command. He might have preferred
to have Rommel lead the drive on Moscow.

The discussion I would like to see is:

Germans decide that something must be done to
help the Italians in Africa.

Germans decide to send a panzer force, pick out
some units. This too was a process, as there
many possible choices.

The Germans also realize that a commander is
required. Who? Someone suggested Rommel; who
was it? Hitler, possibly, but I want to _know_.
And did he (or whoever it was) say why?

Bill Shatzer
2014-04-01 21:57:36 UTC
-snips-
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by GFH
I'm looking for any source on any discussion of
the selection. _The Rommel Papers_ and the two
biographies that I've found only state that he was
picked - not _how_ or _why_ he was picked.
Rommel was very successful in the Spring 1940
invasion of France. I suggest that 'pick a
winner' was 'why'.
So were lots of others. Also, it's not obvious
that Germany's most successful commander (if
Rommel was recognized as such) would be sent
to what was always going to be a secondary
theater.
Next, whoever was sent would have to command
a bi-national force, which is a special skill
beyond combat generalship.
Furthermore, Rommel was only a division commander
in France. In Africa he was an army commander
(two steps up) which means he was jumped ahead of
seniors.
When Rommel was appointed to command the German forces in N Africa, the
so called Afrika Korps was barely a reinfornced division built around
the cobbled together 5th light division - it didn't become a
full-fledged two division corps until the arrival 15th PzDiv in May.

Assigning a successful division commander to command a bobtailed two
division corps would hardly be seen as jumping more senior officers.

Panzer Group Afrika and Panzer Armee Afrika came later and command of
those expanded formations would seem a logical progression for a
successful field
commander.
Rich Rostrom
2014-04-04 17:33:05 UTC
Post by Bill Shatzer
Rommel... in Africa he was an army commander
(two steps up) which means he was jumped ahead of seniors.
When Rommel was appointed to command the German forces in N Africa, the
so called Afrika Korps was barely a reinforced division...
Panzer Group Afrika and Panzer Armee Afrika came later...
True - I had thought he was in supreme command
in Africa from the start. Panzer Group Afrika
was not created until August 1941.

So that aspect of the assignment was not so
controversial.

This still leaves open two questions.

1) Why was Rommel selected as commander for Africa?

2) Why was Africa selected as Rommel's assignment?

I've found one line indicating it was Hitler's choice,
but nothing about why he made that choice.

c***@gmail.com
2014-04-05 23:38:22 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
1) Why was Rommel selected as commander for Africa?
From my notes of Deighton's _Blood, Tears, and Folly_, it is claimed
that Hitler placed Rommel in the desert because he was willing to share the
glory of victory in Africa, but he wanted to catch all the glory for the
defeat of the USSR for himself. Hence the Wolf's Lair headquarters, and Hitler's much greater involvement in the Eastern Front combat.

Don't recall anything like that from Kershaw's Nemesis, but I never took notes
on that one.

Chris Manteuffel
Rich
2014-04-06 04:13:56 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
I'm looking for any source on any
discussion of the selection.
Not sure if its been discussed, but likely was a lot more complex and
that the same time simpler than is generally made out. For one thing,
Rommel wasn't the original choice for the command, the first commander
of 5. leichte Division and Sperrverbande Lybien, Hans Freiherr von
Funck was. He was the named commander of 3. Panzerbrigade on 13 November
1940 and that was the original root of 5. leichte and the Sperrverbande.

However, his initial assessment of the situation after meeting with the Italians in late December 1940 and early January 1941 was "hardly any
possible way to engage [successfully]". I suspect it was his negative
reaction (the same reaction came from Friedrich Paulus when he met with

Commando Supremo) that led directly to him trading commands with Rommel
on 15 February 1941. Rommel saw opportunity to be a big fish in a small
pond whereas it was obvious the commander of 7. Panzer in the probable
Russian campaign would be a very small fish in a very big pond.

Now add in that the Sperrverbande was basically a reinforced brigade
- a two-battalion Panzer regiment, two motorized machinegun battalions,
two artillery battalions, a light flak battalion, and a reconnaissance battalion
- which made it a pretty small command for a Generalleutnant,
however junior.

It probably helped in the selection that Rommel had Hitler's favor, but
I doubt that was the deciding factor. He wanted a job that nobody else
did - it was a simple as that.

Cheers!
Rich Rostrom
2014-04-07 21:58:13 UTC
Rommel wasn't the original choice... von Funck was.
Thanks very much.

This is the sort of information I was looking for.

May I ask where you found it?

Rich
2014-04-08 21:03:28 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
May I ask where you found it?
The basic data is general available. The dates of appointments
and Funcks comments may be found on lexikon-der-werhmacht.de, but
they are also available in any number of reference works.

After that it is basic deduction. Funck was commander of 3.
Panzerbrigade of 3. Panzerdivision, which was used as the
headquarters for 5. Leichte. Rommel was commander of 7. Panzer.
They traded commands. We know Funcks reason, so what earthly
reason would Rommel have to take it other than he wanted it?
Rich Rostrom
2014-04-09 04:38:25 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by Rich Rostrom
May I ask where you found it?
The basic data is general available. The dates of appointments
and Funcks comments may be found on lexikon-der-werhmacht.de, but
they are also available in any number of reference works.
After that it is basic deduction.
Hemm.

So no explicit discussion has been seen.

Oh well. I will look for those reference works.
Post by Rich
Funck was commander of 3.
Panzerbrigade of 3. Panzerdivision, which was used as the
headquarters for 5. Leichte. Rommel was commander of 7. Panzer.
They traded commands. We know Funcks reason, so what earthly
reason would Rommel have to take it other than he wanted it?
Idunno. But I found nothing in _The Rommel Papers_
one way or another. If he wanted it, he never said
so in writing.

Rich
2014-04-09 21:37:07 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Idunno. But I found nothing in _The Rommel Papers_
one way or another. If he wanted it, he never said
so in writing.
The appointment dates and changes are rather irrefutable as is Funck's
liaison trip and his reaction to the Italian situation.

Think through it. Rommel was a division commander - a rather junior
Generalleutnant - in the winter of 1940-1941. The prospects for the
future was a major conflict with the Soviets where he would be just
one Panzer division commander among 20, and one division commander
on a front with about 130. A very small fish in a very big pond.

But by accepting an ad hoc command in Africa, he would be the senior
German commander in theater, answerable directly to Hitler through
Ob.Sued. In other words, a big fish in a very small pond.

Now think about Rommel's character and ambition.

The real question is the timing and sequence, which has always been unclear.
Funck received command of 5. leichte, which was designed for commitment to
Africa, long before any mention of Rommel commanding in Africa. Funck went
to Africa to meet with the Italians before Rommel assumed command. Rommel
assumed command, Funck got 7. Panzer, and then Streicher was given command
of 5. leichte with Rommel bumped up to command Sperverbande Rommel/Panzergruppe
Rommel.
Rich
2014-04-10 20:58:58 UTC
Post by Rich
The real question is the timing and sequence, which has always been unclear.
Funck received command of 5. leichte, which was designed for commitment to
Africa, long before any mention of Rommel commanding in Africa. Funck went
to Africa to meet with the Italians before Rommel assumed command. Rommel
assumed command, Funck got 7. Panzer, and then Streicher was given command
of 5. leichte with Rommel bumped up to command Sperverbande Rommel/Panzergruppe
Rommel.
Urg! Sorry, it probably would have helped if I had put in the sequence...
and gotten Generalmajor Johannes Streich's name right.

Anyway. Rommel was promoted to Generalleutnant 1 January 1940. He accepted
command in Africa on 6 February 1941, after it was offered to him while he
was on leave at Weiner Neustadt. He did not take command though until 14
February 1941. The Befehlshabers der deutschen Truppen in Libyen wasn't
established until 16 February though - it became DAK on 21 February.

GM Freiherr von Funck took command of 5. leichte on 1 January and turned
it over to GM Johannes Streich on 7 February.

Rommel also commanded 7. Panzer through 15 February, when Funck took
command.
Rich Rostrom
2014-04-12 03:13:40 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Idunno. But I found nothing in _The Rommel Papers_
one way or another. If he wanted it, he never said so in writing.
Rommel... would be just one Panzer division
commander among 20... very small fish in a very big pond.
But... in Africa, he would be... a big fish in a very small pond.
I'm not saying that he didn't happily accept
the Africa command when it was offered.

But I don't see any evidence that he asked for it.
Or that he thought about it at all before it was
offered to him.

_ Knight's cross_ by David Fraser says that he was
recommended to Hitler as the commander most likely
to adapt to the situation (but not by who). Also
that he was interviewed by von Brauchitsch before
meeting Hitler and receiving the appointment.

So there was some discussion. But among whom?

Rich
2014-04-13 05:13:24 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
that he was interviewed by von Brauchitsch before
meeting Hitler and receiving the appointment.
So there was some discussion. But among whom?
My apologies, I guess I misunderstood the root question you were
asking. Funck raised his stink at the end of January, early February.
At that point OKW realized they needed a new guy...and it also seems it
dawned on them that guy simply couldn't be just a jumped up brigadier, but
rather someone who could deal with the Italians with some rank.

So however the decision was made, Rommel was called at Weiner Neustadt,
where he was on leave, on 5 February, and told to come to Berlin to be
briefed on a new assignment. He arrived on 6 February, met with Hitler
and the Hauptfuehrungsstabe, and agreed to accept the command of "German
Forces in Libya", which was intended to be only a blocking force to
prevent the British from overrunning Italian North Africa.

The discussions regarding those decisions and who were involved may
be in the OKW KTB. I'll check.