Physical requirements
Mario
2013-11-03 20:45:13 UTC
I suppose that because of vehicle size or weight constraints
then flying men and tank crews body size and weight allowed
were more selective in comparison to an infantry soldier.

F.ex. min. and max. height of a tank driver, or max weight of a
pilot.
--
_____
/ o o \
\o_o_o/
Rich Rostrom
2013-11-04 20:06:45 UTC
F.ex. min. and max. height of a tank driver...
The Soviets had max height for tank crew.
Minimum would be the same as for anyone else.
or max weight of a pilot.
I know that there were height restrictions
on pilots, at least for fighter pilots
who had to fit into single-seat cockpits

Not sure about other pilots or other aircrew
on larger planes. Ball gunners were almost
certainly height-restricted.

Even for infantry there could be restrictions.

There was an American baseball player who
was exempted from service because he was
6' 7". He would have required custom uniforms,
could not fit in a standand bunk or sleeping bag,
so they just sent him home.

It occurs to me that men with really big feet
might be exempted for a similar reason.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
Don P
2013-11-05 15:38:25 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
I know that there were height restrictions
on pilots, at least for fighter pilots
who had to fit into single-seat cockpits
The RAF aircrew selection process in the 1950s
measured 10 or 12 body dimensions (backside to
front knee, backside to top of head etc.) by
seating candidates against a wall marked with
a grid of 3" squares (memory suggests.) The
last stage of pilot training (for award of wings)
was in the late 1950s 100 to 150 hours in De
Havilland Vampires, then available in two main
types, the two-seater Vampire T.11 and the single-
seater FB.5. Cadets were well aware men over 6 ft.
in height could not fit into an FB.5.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa Canada)
Mario
2013-11-05 19:53:25 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
F.ex. min. and max. height of a tank driver...
The Soviets had max height for tank crew.
Minimum would be the same as for anyone else.
Too little a driver he needs a cushion on the seat. :-)

Women should be preferred as tank and submarine crew and flying
personnel as they are smaller and lighter than men.
Post by Rich Rostrom
or max weight of a pilot.
I know that there were height restrictions
on pilots, at least for fighter pilots
who had to fit into single-seat cockpits
Not sure about other pilots or other aircrew
on larger planes. Ball gunners were almost
certainly height-restricted.
Even for infantry there could be restrictions.
There was an American baseball player who
was exempted from service because he was
6' 7". He would have required custom uniforms,
could not fit in a standand bunk or sleeping bag,
so they just sent him home.
It occurs to me that men with really big feet
might be exempted for a similar reason.
Maybe they could serve in the entertainment/propaganda sector.

Otherwise they are allowed to wear nonstandard apparel or
just work in civilian clothes.
--
_____
/ o o \
\o_o_o/
Paul F Austin
2013-11-06 05:45:44 UTC
Post by Mario
Post by Rich Rostrom
F.ex. min. and max. height of a tank driver...
The Soviets had max height for tank crew.
Minimum would be the same as for anyone else.
Too little a driver he needs a cushion on the seat. :-)
Women should be preferred as tank and submarine crew and flying
personnel as they are smaller and lighter than men.
I served on a fast attack and worked for "Beefy Chiefy", 6"4 and about
280 pounds. I later worked with a guy that tall who had been an A-7
driver during the Viet Nam War. Tanks may be different.

Paul
WJHopwood
2013-11-05 19:54:11 UTC
I know that there were height restrictions on pilots, at least
for fighter pilots who had to fit into single-seat cockpits
Not sure about other pilots or other aircrew....
In the pre WWII U.S. Navy pre-war, physical requirements varied
depending on the need or lack of need for recruits. During the
"great depression" when jobs were almost non-existent, many
young men tried to join the armed services in any branch of the
service they could. As a result, the services made physical
requirements tough to meet throughout the 1930s. (Around
1936 I tried for a Naval Academy appointment through my
Congressman whose policy was to first send applicants to a
Navy Yard for a physical exam. (There I was quickly turned down
for alleged "flat feet.")
But beginning in late 1939 and particularly after the draft
passed in 1940, the U.S. began to build up the military and
physical requirements were more relaxed. There was a build-up
of flight training and I along with many others were then able to pass
flight physicals with little difficulty. (Mysteriously, my alleged "flat feet"
had disappeared.)
As for height, as most people fall within an average range, I never
heard of any official requirement on that, although there might have
been one. However, I assume someone who was obviously too tall or too
short to fit the cockpit of a single-seat aircraft would have automatically
been assigned to train for an aircraft he could fit.

WJH
Andy Magee
2013-11-10 15:43:22 UTC
Post by WJHopwood
[...]
There are stories of men who escaped from the USS Oklahoma because they
were small enough to squeeze through the larger port holes, but had to
leave some of their shipmates behind to drown.

Roman W
2013-11-09 07:06:47 UTC
On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 15:06:45 -0500, Rich Rostrom
Post by Rich Rostrom
There was an American baseball player who
was exempted from service because he was
6' 7". He would have required custom uniforms,
could not fit in a standand bunk or sleeping bag,
so they just sent him home.
Was a he sports celebrity?

RW
Rich Rostrom
2013-11-11 18:33:20 UTC
Post by Roman W
Post by Rich Rostrom
There was an American baseball player who
was exempted from service because he was 6' 7".
Was a he sports celebrity?
Not that I'm aware of. Just a journeyman
player of average ability.

Of course, such a man _should_ be fit for
military duty. This man was - except for the
obvious practical difficulties of his height.

There was another more celebrated player
who was exempted during the war. I thought
it was Ken Keltner, but I seem to be mistaken.

What I remember reading about this man is that
he had bad knees. He could play a game, but
afterwards would sit with his knees in ice
packs for an hour. It would have been
impossible for him to serve in the Army or Navy.

Michael Emrys
2013-11-12 01:28:25 UTC
What I remember reading about this man is that he had bad knees. He
could play a game, but afterwards would sit with his knees in ice
packs for an hour. It would have been impossible for him to serve in
the Army or Navy.
Seems like there would be dozens of desk jobs he could have handled.
Might not even have to leave the States.

Michael
Rich Rostrom
2013-11-12 18:43:22 UTC
Post by Michael Emrys
Seems like there would be dozens of desk jobs he could have handled.
Might not even have to leave the States.
True - but he couldn't even get through basic
training. There wouldn't be much point in
putting a man in uniform if it was certain
he could never fight.