a Quora Roddie Edmonds was a Master Sergeant in the United States Army in WWII
a425couple
2024-02-28 00:36:59 UTC
from a Quora

Mysterious Facts(Weird) 😲😲💖 ·
Follow
Posted by
Anna R. Welliver

14h
Roddie Edmonds was a Master Sergeant in the United States Army. In late
1944, Edmonds was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and held at a
German POW camp. In January 1945, the Nazis ordered all Jewish-American
POWs to step forward. Edmonds, the highest-ranking noncommissioned
officer at the camp, ordered all 1,000 US soldiers to step forward,
regardless of their religion.

A German commander demanded that Edmonds identify the Jewish soldiers.
Edmonds replied, "We are all Jews here." The commander threatened to
shoot him if he did not comply. Edmonds refused, saying, "If you shoot,
you'll have to shoot us all." The commander backed down.

Edmonds' actions are credited with saving the lives of 200 Jewish
soldiers. In 2015, he was posthumously named Righteous Among the Nations
by Yad Vashem and was the first American soldier to receive the honor.

Edmonds' story is a reminder of the courage and compassion of those who
stood up to the Nazis during World War II. He is a true hero, and his
legacy will never be forgotten.

55.6K views
View 2,186 upvotes
View 22 shares
sticks
2024-03-02 23:35:58 UTC
Post by a425couple
[...]
Thanks! I'm gonna do a little more research on this story. A true Hero!
Stand With Israel!
sticks
2024-03-10 19:38:32 UTC
Post by sticks
Post by a425couple
[...]
One thing I found looking into this, as was typical of this generation,
Edmonds was not the one to bring this event out. He never told his
family about it, and they only learned of it when after his passing his
wife gave his some some diaries he had kept as a prisoner in the camps.
What a guy!
--
Stand With Israel!