Portugal-WW2-secret war
José António Barreiros
2014-06-14 16:03:09 UTC
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during 1939-1945.
I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and documents about it.
Would you discuss that with me?
Regards
jab
Rich Rostrom
2014-06-15 02:47:41 UTC
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during 1939-1945.
I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and documents about it.
Would you discuss that with me?
Certainly, but you almost certainly
know far more about it than any of the
"regulars" of this group. I think we'd
all be happy to learn.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
Don Phillipson
2014-06-15 04:16:00 UTC
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during 1939-1945.
I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and documents about it.
What does the OP want to know, or what popular errors does
he want to correct?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
S***@argo.rhein-neckar.de
2014-06-16 14:40:06 UTC
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during
1939-1945. I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and
documents about it. Would you discuss that with me?
Regards
jab
News on US/German gold or rare material trade?

I read sometime that German subs sunk Portuguese ships by "mistake". It
was suggested the events were no mistakes but related to force the
Portuguese in to something. True?

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##
GFH
2014-06-17 14:41:48 UTC
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during 1939-1945.
I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and documents about it.
Would you discuss that with me?
Regards
jab
Check ITT. ITT ran actual phone systems, not
just sold telephone equipment. ITT was spun
off by ATT. I know that ITT ran the phone
systems in Chile, Argentina, and Spain. I
do not remember whether it ran the phone system
in Portugal.

Yes, the US government pushed ITT to listen
in and gather information. No, ITT did not
do it -- I mean give anything to the US.
For the record, I worked for ITT for a while.

GFH
WJHopwood
2014-06-17 18:25:49 UTC
On Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:03:09 PM UTC-4,
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war
in Portugal during 1939-1945. I wrote several
books on the topic and have many books and
documents about it. Would you discuss that with
me?
This may or may not help with your research but
here is some informaion from what little I have
heard or read with regard to Portugal's connection
with WWii, secret or otherwise: :
Portugal's government, directed by Antonio
Salazar, was initially determined to maintain its
neutrality, more for economic reasons than for any
particular leanings toward either side. Salazar, ruled
as head of the National Unity Party, which held all
the seats in Portugal's parliament.
Salazar himself wore two hats--that of
Prime Minister and that of Foreign Minister of the
countty. In Lisbon, Portugal's capital, both Axis and
Allied embassies were located and this made for a
hotbed of clandestine diplomatic maneuvering
leading toward informal and clandestine opportunites
for both sides. One example was the negotiations
which led to the surrender of Italy occurred in Portugal
in the Fall of 1943.
Lisbon became a wartime travel hub for those
travelling to and from the U.S. and the UK although
many who made the trip had to wait days or weeks for
available transportation. It also was an escape
destination for persons able to do so to get out of
Belgium and France ahead of the German occupiers.
But the main strategic importance to both the
Axis and Allied powers was Portugal's posession of the
Azores, their location being what could be decisive in
the convoy/U-Boat battles of the Atlantic. President
Roosevelt is said to have considered occupation of the
Azores by the U.S. as early as 1941 priot to the Pearl
Harbor attack, but since the U.S. was not then a
belligerent, was dissuaded by his advisors from doing
so. .
Meanwhile, however, because of an ancient
alliance between Portugal and England dating back
to 1373, Churchill pressured Portugal to allow joint
Anglo-American occupation of the islands. Finally,
late in 1943, Salazar agreed. After Allied occupation
of the Azores, air coverage against the U-Boat threat
reached across the north Atlantic with marked results.
With Salazar's agreement for use of the Azores
by the Allies, there was no declaration of war against
the Axis by Portugal, however Portugal had, in essence,
become a co-belligerent. After the war ended, Portugal
was thus honored by admission to the distinguished
group of nations which became the founding members
of the United Nations.

WJH
Geoffrey Sinclair
2014-06-20 14:37:14 UTC
Post by José António Barreiros
I am conduction a research concerning secret war in Portugal during 1939-1945.
I wrote several books on the topic and have many books and documents about it.
Would you discuss that with me?
It would be interesting, Portugal usually only rates a mention in
most histories via the Azores agreement. What was the secret war?
Espionage and diplomacy? Trade?

What sort of worries did the government have during the war
and how did that play out in what it did? Things like ensuring
food supply, the losses of ships at sea, the trade with both
Germany and the allies.

The British histories note as well as the trade in items made
in Portugal, mainly resin, cork and Wolfram/Tungsten ore,
Portugal was a conduit for a small amount of material from
Africa that ended up in Germany in the 1940 to 1942 period.
I presume there was the usual differing views on whether
having important resources made the country safer or more
likely to be invaded.

What did the government make of East Timor becoming a
battlefield? What sort of contacts were kept with the Japanese?

What about the rest of the colonies?

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.