Convoys
news
2013-10-06 19:15:36 UTC
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
Michael Emrys
2013-10-07 14:15:38 UTC
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
I think there were some manufactured trade goods, but I don't have a
list and my suspicion is that a lot of the returning ships traveled
light. One exception being ships carrying POWs to Canada or the US.

Churchill in his memoir mentions that he ordered that any ships
returning from India or Ceylon should carry as much tea as they could. I
found that mildly amusing.

Michael
Bill
2013-10-07 14:47:00 UTC
Post by Michael Emrys
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
I think there were some manufactured trade goods, but I don't have a
list and my suspicion is that a lot of the returning ships traveled
light. One exception being ships carrying POWs to Canada or the US.
Churchill in his memoir mentions that he ordered that any ships
returning from India or Ceylon should carry as much tea as they could. I
found that mildly amusing.
The British government undertook to purchase the whole world
production of tea for the duration of WWII.

In those days the UK was pretty much tea fueled.
Don Phillipson
2013-10-07 14:42:57 UTC
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
Not much, because Britain was not exporting much after 1940 -- only
such exceptionally high-value as Scotch whisky, cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_Galore_%28novel%29
Returning freighters in ballast also carried occasional passengers
and one-off shipments, e.g. German aircraft for examination in
N.America, early British jet engines for testing etc. It was a
small convenience that returning empty freighters could steam
a little faster than when loaded: but many tramp steamers of
the 1930s could not make more than 12 knots.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Paul F Austin
2013-10-07 22:25:02 UTC
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
We own a small teapot marked "For England and Democracy" that was
imported during the Battle of the Atlantic.
Paul
Errolwi
2013-10-08 05:10:11 UTC

Errol Cavit
Paul F Austin
2013-10-08 14:25:18 UTC
Post by Errolwi
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
In an environment that allowed individual ships to sail, that would be
the case. When a convoy has to be assembled and most importantly, the
convoy escorts detached from their current duties, reassigned and join
up, there are many delays between arrival of an inbound convoy and the
sailing of the outbound one. In the mean time some goods can and were
loaded. The bottle-neck there was the production of export goods using
labor not needed for defense work and materials not needed as well, both
in short supply. Long-shore labor was a constraint as well.

Paul
Andrew Chaplin
2013-10-08 14:40:16 UTC
Post by news
I've never seen what, if any, cargo those merchant ships carried back to
the US, Canada or wherever they originated from after they unloaded in
Britian
As I understand it, some sub-assemblies and instruments were shipped from
the U.K. to Canada for aircraft production. (These would not have taken up a
lot of shipping, that's for sure.)
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO