Luftwaffe production and policy
John Dallman
2016-06-12 18:10:07 UTC
Erhard Milch was the Air Inspector General from 1940, and seems to have
been responsible for the Luftwaffe's poor decision-making on aircraft
production. I'd like to know a bit more about this, but the only
biography of him I can find is by David Irving, whom I don't trust to
assess Third Reich decision-making.

Can anyone recommend a source?

John
IndSyd
2016-06-12 21:18:19 UTC
Post by John Dallman
Erhard Milch was the Air Inspector General from 1940, and seems to have
been responsible for the Luftwaffe's poor decision-making on aircraft
production. I'd like to know a bit more about this, but the only
biography of him I can find is by David Irving, whom I don't trust to
assess Third Reich decision-making.
Can anyone recommend a source?
John
How about Albert Speer's 2 books. Speer does a good job of cleansing
himself of Nazi war crimes decision making but still the picture from
inside is there
The Horny Goat
2016-06-23 15:40:13 UTC
Post by IndSyd
Post by John Dallman
Can anyone recommend a source?
How about Albert Speer's 2 books. Speer does a good job of cleansing
himself of Nazi war crimes decision making but still the picture from
inside is there
Indeed - if there is in fact any other major theme in his books I
would like to know what it is. I would consider Gitta Sereny's book an
excellent debunking of the Speer myth.

(https://www.amazon.ca/Albert-Speer-His-Battle-Truth/dp/0679768122)
Rich Rostrom
2016-06-24 03:40:19 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Indeed - if there is in fact any other major theme in his books I
would like to know what it is.
AIUI, his major theme is...

Hitler screwed up, so did other Nazis. One
reason Speer got off lightly at Nuremburg was his
willingness to criticize the other Nazis and even
Hitler. And not just for crimes against humanity
or starting the war, but for corruption and bungling
in fighting the war. Much of this criticism was at
least partly factual, and coming from a senior Nazi
was thus very useful to the Allies.

It appears to be the same in his books.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
The Horny Goat
2016-06-28 00:13:51 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 23:40:19 -0400, Rich Rostrom
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by The Horny Goat
Indeed - if there is in fact any other major theme in his books I
would like to know what it is.
AIUI, his major theme is...
Hitler screwed up, so did other Nazis. One
reason Speer got off lightly at Nuremburg was his
willingness to criticize the other Nazis and even
Hitler. And not just for crimes against humanity
or starting the war, but for corruption and bungling
in fighting the war. Much of this criticism was at
least partly factual, and coming from a senior Nazi
was thus very useful to the Allies.
It appears to be the same in his books.
I'd say you're right. That does not of course make it the truth as
Speer had every incentive at Nuremberg (e.g. saving his own neck) to
not tell the truth.

Gitta Sereny's main thesis was that Speer knew that plenty of German
wawr industries employed slave labor and since he was the one
responsible for that industry he was the one who should have taken the
blame at Nuremberg - and that several lesser employers of slave labor
were hung for their crimes. She further says if Speer had told the
unvarnished truth he would have swung with them.

I am currently reading Joachim Fest's book on Speer and it is
interesting that he reviews Sereny's book and conclusion (only
revealed in the last paragraph of the last chapter) that by the
standards of the Nuremberg Tribunals that Speer had earned a death
sentence - and only mentions that conclusion in a footnote.

On the other hand, I did not know Milch and Speer worked so closely
together though I am skeptical of Fest's claim that Speer made a
serious effort to oppose Hitler's "wonder weapons" fantasies.

Seems to me that another author's case that the International Court at
Nuremberg botches the prosecution of a major war criminal is quite a
bit more maor than merely footnote worthy but I am not a professional
historian particularly not a GERMAN professional historian.

If anyone knows a source other than Sereny that discusses in detail
Speer's life after his release from Spandau in 1966 I would very much
like a reference. To me the manner of his passing (in bed with a
mistress in London - after the way his wife supported him through the
war and his imprisonment) says all I need to know about his character
- which obviously evolved over time.
Bill Shatzer
2016-06-28 13:17:56 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Gitta Sereny's main thesis was that Speer knew that plenty of German
wawr industries employed slave labor and since he was the one
responsible for that industry he was the one who should have taken the
blame at Nuremberg - and that several lesser employers of slave labor
were hung for their crimes. She further says if Speer had told the
unvarnished truth he would have swung with them.
I don't think any Germans were executed merely for involvement in using
or supplying slave labor.

The convicted industrialist defendants in the so-called "Krupp trial"
were given sentences of between two and twelve years. Similarly, the
convicted defendants in the I.G. Farben trial and the Flick trial were
sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging up to seven years.

None were sentenced to death.
David Wilma
2016-06-28 19:40:03 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Gitta Sereny's main thesis was that Speer knew that plenty of German
wawr industries employed slave labor and since he was the one
responsible for that industry he was the one who should have taken the
blame at Nuremberg - and that several lesser employers of slave labor
were hung for their crimes. She further says if Speer had told the
unvarnished truth he would have swung with them.
IIRC Speer was in line for a death sentence, but his admission of guilt
is what saved him.
Rich Rostrom
2016-06-29 20:47:23 UTC
Post by David Wilma
IIRC Speer was in line for a death sentence, but his
admission of guilt is what saved him.
His admission of guilt, _and_ his pungent criticism
of Hitler (and Himmler, Goering, etc.). Hans Frank
also confessed, but they hanged him anyway. The Allies
wanted Hitler discredited, and Speer helped with that.

The Horny Goat
2016-07-03 01:06:56 UTC
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 16:47:23 -0400, Rich Rostrom
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Wilma
IIRC Speer was in line for a death sentence, but his
admission of guilt is what saved him.
His admission of guilt, _and_ his pungent criticism
of Hitler (and Himmler, Goering, etc.). Hans Frank
also confessed, but they hanged him anyway. The Allies
wanted Hitler discredited, and Speer helped with that.
On top of that don't forget his work for/with the US Strategic Bombing
Survey before Nuremberg - I'm not aware any other of the Nuremberg
Major War Criminals took part in the USSBS.

That said having now completed Fest's book (Speer: The Final Verdict),
Sereny's (Albert Speer: His Battle with the Truth) and Van der Vat's
The Good Nazi: The Life and Lies of Albert Speer I'm of the view that
he probably DID deserve the noose.

(The main book on Speer besides his own writings and those above is
Schmidt's Albert Speer: The End of a Myth which I have not read but
have a hold placed at our local library)
Joe Osman
2016-09-14 15:53:45 UTC
Post by John Dallman
Erhard Milch was the Air Inspector General from 1940, and seems to have
been responsible for the Luftwaffe's poor decision-making on aircraft
production. I'd like to know a bit more about this, but the only
biography of him I can find is by David Irving, whom I don't trust to
assess Third Reich decision-making.
Can anyone recommend a source?
John
You might want to look at Williamson Murray's work on the Luftwaffe.

Attrition and the Luftwaffe, Dr. Williason Murray, Air University Review, March-April 1983 (available online)

It's a preview of his "Strategy for Defeat: The Luftwaffe 1933-1945" from 1985.

His "Military Adaptation in War" from 2009 (also available online) talks about Milch and aircraft production as well.

Joe
John Dallman
2016-09-14 18:28:25 UTC
Post by Joe Osman
You might want to look at Williamson Murray's work on the Luftwaffe.
Thanks, that looks promising.

John
Geoffrey Sinclair
2016-09-15 14:41:33 UTC
Post by John Dallman
Erhard Milch was the Air Inspector General from 1940, and seems to have
been responsible for the Luftwaffe's poor decision-making on aircraft
production. I'd like to know a bit more about this, but the only
biography of him I can find is by David Irving, whom I don't trust to
assess Third Reich decision-making.
Can anyone recommend a source?
As far as I know only Irving has produced a biography. Most
histories rate Milch as talented, though vindictive, he carried
on feuds.

In Phoenix Triumphant by E R Hooton Milch is described as
"not inconsiderable vanity", "ruthless egoist with a justified
belief in his own abilities", "organiser with technical expertise",
"strong streak of outspoken bravado", "insensitive to
opponents","over sensitive to slights, both real and imagined".

He did things like enable all weather operations, setting up
the training and aids. Plus realistic early production programs.

As already suggested when you consult Williamson Murray
you will find Goering largely stripped Milch of his production
and technical control powers in 1937 and 1938, they were
largely returned at the end of 1941. (Luftwaffe - Strategy for Defeat)

Geoffrey Sinclair
Remove the nb for email.
John Dallman
2016-09-16 13:25:53 UTC
Post by Geoffrey Sinclair
In Phoenix Triumphant by E R Hooton Milch is described as
"not inconsiderable vanity"
Clearly I need to re-read that - not looked at it for a couple of
decades.

thanks,

John