trivia - Gibraltar tunnels & WII
a425couple
2013-08-11 18:21:38 UTC
A couple weeks ago I reread this (after hearing about
some current events). I've always found it interesting,
so perhaps someone else will also.

(I assume the old "marsh area" is around where the
airport is now?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Siege_Tunnels

"The Great Siege Tunnels in the British Overseas Territory of
Gibraltar, also known as the Upper Galleries, are a series of
tunnels inside the northern end of the Rock of Gibraltar. They
were dug out from the solid limestone by the British during the
Great Siege of Gibraltar ----
The Second World War led to another great wave of tunnelling
as work was undertaken to enable The Rock to house a garrison
of 16,000 men with water, food, ammunition and fuel supplies
sufficient to last a year under siege.[8] The Great Siege Tunnels
were reused during the war; --- it appears that they may have
housed one of the generators used to power Gibraltar's searchlights, ---
and a staircase dug to link the tunnels with other Second World War
tunnels lower down, known as the Middle Galleries. However, the
methods by which the Second World War tunnels were hastily excavated
have meant that - unlike the original 18th century tunnels - they have
crumbled rapidly and now can not be safely accessed"
David Wilma
2013-08-23 15:16:25 UTC
Dwight Eisenhower monitored Operation Torch from
the tunnels which were cold and wet.